Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pop culture artifact


I would consider the symbol of the well known “Two Golden Arches” from McDonalds to be an example of a pop culture artifact.  This symbol is recognized not only in the United States but all over the world as a business that serves quality fast food (if there is such as thing) for affordable prices.  I think that this artifact and what it represents is one of the most recognized symbols that stems from a business that deals with fast food.  The reason why it’s interesting to me is that I cannot remember a time when you didn’t know what McDonalds was not only from the symbols but also through their “mascot” Ronald McDonald who is marketed specifically for children.  Combined with “incentives” to take part in their business (happy meals) and market presence (where haven’t you seen a McDonalds anywhere) this business has been permanently engrained in our culture from childhood to adulthood.

2 comments:

  1. I find you artifact of the "golden arches" as an excellent portray of American culture. I remember as a kid looking so forward to going there whenever we were in the bigger city because in the small town I lived in didn't have one. Now a days I hate going there for many reasons and I try to avoid it at all cost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the "golden arches" is most definately a artifact of pop culture. I remember seeing them as a kid and they are still a very apparent part of our society today. McDonald's is going though a bit of an evolution today with the health crazed witch-hunt in American culture. They are offering different menu items than ever before and that will help this example of an artifact stay relevant into the future. It is one of the most recognizable signs and proves that the marketing behind the McDonald's brand is great. I try not to eat there anymore, but there is always a line it seems.

    ReplyDelete